July 23, 2014

Jeff Adams on Hat Trick 2: Playing the Rebound


Jeff Adams on Hat Trick 2: Playing the Rebound

I'm excited that Hat Trick 2: Playing the Rebound is now available. I admit, when I wrote Hat Trick I didn't expect there to be a sequel. As I was writing, it felt like a self-contained story.

However, during a time where I'd put the manuscript aside after an editing session, I had the idea for a short story. Without giving away anything from Hat Trick, Simon goes through a lot of strife because of his older brother and father. The short story jumped forward a couple years and centered on Simon taking care of some family business. I wrote the first draft, put it away and returned to the main novel.

As Hat Trick went through its formal editing process last summer with Queerteen Press/JMS Books, I pulled that short story out and found that Simon was talking to me loud and clear about more things he wanted to do. Initially I thought I'd write a single book that would take place during Simon and Alex's senior year of college. As I wrote, it became clear that Simon had a lot of story and that it should be broken up. So, Hat Trick 2: Playing the Rebound takes place in the couple's sophomore year.

So what's happening in the world of Simon and Alex? As I mentioned, Simon has to go home to take care of some family issues. His father is ill and wants to see him -- and wants him to make amends with his brother. Simon and Alex mark two years together with an Alex-planned celebration. We also see Simon dig into what he wants to do when he gets out of school, becoming a social worker and working with young people. There's also an anti-gay attacker menacing the campus population that will spur Simon into action, more evidence of him wanting to help people.

Working on the sequel pushed me to adapt my writing style. I'm typically a pantser, meaning I write by the seat of my pants and make stuff up as I go. Knowing the stories I wanted to tell, I split up the action between the two books sequels (yes, there's another book to come) and had to make sure there was good continuity through what would be a trilogy. It means that I've become, at least in the case of the Hat Trick universe, a pantser who also plots.

So far this shift in writing style seems to work. I outline the major plot points deliberately and then fill in the details using my typical pantser methods. Early feedback is that it worked well for Playing the Rebound.

Thanks to all the readers who, over the past ten months that they've wanted to see more of Simon and Alex. I hope you all enjoy Hat Trick 2.

You can keep up with all things Hat Trick with these links:

Read an excerpt or download a copy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment